Welcome to the Everyday Quilter

Thanks for checking out my blog



Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Scrap buster #2

As you know by now, I love scraps!  But I love what I can create with them even more.  I got the idea one day to make some decorative storage boxes for my sewing room.  I store a lot things in shoe boxes so I wanted to spice it up a bit.  With a ruler, a rotary cutter, hot glue, large scraps (or fat quarters) and some shoe boxes, here is what I came up.
can you see where I folded over the raw edges so they don't show?  This one stores my Christmas notions.

I measured the fabric, cut it and ironed in the all the raw edges.  Next I let my glue gun do the work.  This is the back of one of the boxes which shows its not perfect but it's fun and functional!  This box stores fabric I buy from the scrap bin.

What to do with all those selvages?  Well first there is this totally awesome blog http://www.selvageblog.blogspot.com/ that will insire you for years to come!  I LOVE it!  Once upon a time I decided to learn to crochet.  I don't love it but it gabe me something to do on the go.  I started sewing my selvages together end to end after I cut them down to a size no bigger than an inch wide.  I then rolled them into manageable size balls and started  making pot holders.  This can be done with any small strip but I have found the ones made out of selvages don't roll up as much after being washed.  Here are some I have done in the past - not pretty but once again they are functional and maybe I do like that scrappy look where nothing matches.  I hope to crochet a selvage rug some day!
                            

Hope you like!  I'll post more scrappy projects as time allows.  I hope you all enjoy your fall!

Until next time!                                                                                                                   


1 comment: